Sunday, May 6, 2012

Water Leaking from the Ceiling of Life

It's Friday night, the husband is out working for the 4th night in a row, storm is in full swing, and I'm listening to the water hit the bowl sitting on the floor.  Oh, let's not forget the little girl sleeping in my bed because she's scared!  At the moment I heard the first drip from the ceiling I instantly go into full panic mode, I see thousands of dollars in damage, and water pouring out of the light fixture any minute.  I wonder in that moment...why do bad things happen to self proclaimed good people like myself?!  Then I say out loud, "we have to have the bad to appreciate the good", and I repeat it over and over and over until I believe it again.

Would I appreciate my awesome husband, who calms me down when I'm in freak out mode, if I didn't have a not so good 1st husband to compare him to?  Nope! Would I appreciate my home if I didn't sleep in my brothers room when I was homeless after my divorce?  Nope!  Would I appreciate staying home if I hadn't been a working women balancing work and family while drowning? Nope!  Would I appreciate my health as much if I didn't see others fighting cancer? Absolutely not!

Cry, throw a fit, call names, have a glass (or bottle) of wine...but after your done with your pity party of one, look around and realize this is just another bad that makes us appreciate the good.  My daughter is already sleeping, the husband is working to pay for the roof repair, and the roof and ceiling with get fixed.  I'm still sleeping under a roof tonight, my kids aren't scared, and I have a husband who works his ass off for his family...a little rain water won't get the best of me:)

My epilogue...

The husband came home at 3:30 am and informed me that our newly planted trees were laying on the ground from the fierce wind and storm.  Ugh!

The next day we found out the trees might make it and the water came in from a vent, not a hole in the roof.  Money spent so far to repair, $0!  I also ran my first 5k of the season with a personal best time!

In the end good wins over bad again, I just had to ride out the storm to see the calm...

1 comment:

  1. I was catching up on all your blots today and this one caught my eye. I was throwing myself a pity party and after reading this I have to say I am feeling better. Good wins over bad! You have a way with words and I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete